Quality criteria of data provision
We measure the quality of our reports and statistics against criteria that are also applied by the statistical offices of the federal government and the federal states, and try to align our documents published here, made available via central storage locations, or sent out by e-mail with these principles. We alos continually strive to improve them in this respect1:
- Relevance: The statistics meet the needs of the users. We are always open to suggestions, ideas for improvement, and constructive criticism!
- Accuracy and reliability: The statistics reflect reality as accurately and reliably as possible. Where we see discrepancies in our databases or suspect sources of error, we point them out in the documents and/or via reporting channels in committees and endeavor to resolve the causes of possible errors.
- Up-to-dateness and punctuality: The statistics are as up-to-date as internal and external processes allow and are made available or published punctually on the dates specified by us under Dates, Cut-off dates and Deadlines.
- Coherence and comparability: The statistics we produce are consistent and comparable with each other and over time. It is possible to correlate related data from different sources (e.g. state or federal government). For this reason, we try to establish internal university standards for e.g. the publication of student numbers per semester. With our figures, we always also provide the criteria for the queries. This is especially important where we differ from the figures published by the state. We try to emphasize this in each case.
- Accessibility and clarity: The statistics are prepared and made available in an understandable and appropriate manner according to the needs of the university, which are known to us. Not all members of the university or external parties have access to all figures and reports from our area. We strive to be as transparent as possible and as data-efficient as necessary. Where necessary, we explain how the data is compiled/selected and made available to the respective target group(s). We maintain our glossary, among other things, to clarify terms.
1 Cf. DESTATIS quality guidelines and the quality manual provided there (here based on the March 2018 edition).